1 1/2 tbs salt
4 large green or red bell peppers - tops, seeds and membranes removed
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 onion chopped
2 cups cooked rice
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 ounce) can chili-style diced tomatoes
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Mexican cheese blend
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Cook rice following pack instructions
3. Bring a large pot of water and 1 tbs of salt to a boil; cook peppers in boiling water until slightly softened, 3-4 minutes. Drain.
4. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion in the oil, 5-10 minutes.
5. Mix rice, black beans, tomatoes, and cooked onion in a large bowl.
6. Add chili powder, garlic salt, cumin, and table salt; stir until evenly mixed.
7. Mix 1 1/2 cups of Mexican cheese blend into rice mixture.
8. Spoon rice mixture into each bell pepper. Arrange peppers on baking sheet. Sprinkle peppers with Mexican cheese blend.
9. Bake in the preheated oven about 30 minutes.
Sarahn’s Tip: You might know this one...don't drive yourself crazy measuring the amount of spices to add. Let your wrist do a little dance and add some more flavor to your table.
Sarahn’s Twist: I used brown rice for the mixture. So yummy! I also added a can of corn to the recipe and mixed that in with the rice mixture.
Sarahn’s Taste: If it's not pizza, I don't like it too cheesy, so I opted out of mixing the cheese in with the rice and beans and just sprinkled it on the top instead. I do wish that I added some salsa to the mixture, just to give it a little more of that 'Mexican' kick. #sarahnsays